Transforming Retail User Experiences on Entry Devices
Raising the bar in media and graphics processing, power efficiency, CPU performance, and security with the Intel® Celeron® processor and Intel® Atom™ processor E3800 product families.
Retailers want to display higher quality promotional content to attract consumers, requiring digital signage with more processing power for media and 3-D graphics.
• Today’s retail solutions are increasingly compute intensive, driving a need for higher performance at lower power consumption.
• Retail floor space is at a premium, and the environment may be harsh, creating demand for compact, low power, and retail-hardened systems.
• Retail systems and transaction data must be protected against adept cybercriminals, necessitating improved system protection and the widespread use of data encryption.
Captivating visuals are vital for attracting retail customers. Generation 7 Intel® Graphics Technology with dramatically improved media and graphics performance has 80 percent higher decode performance and five times the 3-D graphics power of previous generations.
• Small form factor, low power, and operation in harsh conditions are necessities for outdoor systems, like ATMs, vending machines, and gas station pumps. This highly-integrated, one-chip solution allows for smaller form factor solutions over previous-generation, two-chip offerings. It is also power-efficient with a 5-10W thermal design power (TDP) and supports the industrial temperature range of -40° to 110° C (-40° to 230° F), making it capable of operating reliably across retail environments.
• Microarchitecture enhancements, including quad-core processing and out-of-order instruction execution, significantly increase performance—up to double per core and four times per CPU compared to prior generations.
• Secure systems and transactions at point-of-sales devices are must-haves during peak selling times. Compared with the previous generation processor, the Intel® Celeron® processor and Intel® Atom™ processor E3800 product families add security enhancements, such as Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions (Intel® AES-NI) and secure boot, which use hardware-assisted capabilities to encrypt and decrypt data and allow only trusted software to run on the device.
Read the full Transforming Retail User Experiences on Entry Devices Solution Brief.